Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Weblog Graffiti

I just read a very, very angry person's comments to Wayne&Wax's blog, which ends with the anonymous commentator threatening to "kick off yuh f***ing face."

While I have had nothing as hate-filled on this site I think I should make it clear that I will delete any posts that I feel take away from the dialogue between myself and the reader, and I certainly don't plan to be having an in-depth conversation with an anonymous commentor who attacks me or anyone else.

To me, it is a lot like the political graffiti of the 1980 election here in Jamaica. Each side had supporters going around town marking up the place with "Vote PNP" here and "Deliverance" there. The result was that a mess was created that took years to clean up (although I imagine that a lot of green and orange paint did get sold that year!)

Also, I doubt that anyone changed their vote because one side had better graffiti than the other.

So, all that to say... I reserve the right to delete comments at will, and I am less likely to respond to anonymous comments, and very likely to delete comments that are anonymous AND hate-filled at the same time.

Anonymous graffiti does nothing but create a mess that takes a long time to clean up, whether it is on a wall, or on a blog.

3 Comments:

At 5/03/2006 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed, francis. that's hardly the kind of conversation i hope to cultivate, which is why i eventually had to close the comments to that post and take measures to make sure that my anonymous antagonist could no longer run his mouth so. but i left up that "graffiti" as an example of the kind of discourse the "homophobia" debate can engender among some. sad but true.

still gives me a stomach-ache to read it.

thanks for the links. i appreciate your voice of reason, your introspection, and your honesty.

 
At 5/03/2006 6:23 AM, Blogger fwade said...

Wayne,

Thanks for keeping it up -- it made me remember what we are dealing with on these issues, and the violent environment in which we live here in Jamaica.

On a different note, I am relatively new to blogging and there are many mysteries that I have not figured out yet. One of them is... how did you know that I linked to your site? You can't be reading everything that I write, and I remember hearing something about how to do this. Any words of advice?

 
At 5/03/2006 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey francis,

you got me. i try to remember to read your site from time to time, but the reason i checked today is that i saw you were linking to me.

i use a sitemeter, which tells me how many hits i'm getting, where they're coming from, how long they stayed, etc. you can see mine here, where your site currently shows up under "referrals" (i don't keep my statcounter password protected, though that's an option).

just click on the rotating cube in the top left corner (or go to sitemeter.com), and it will walk you through the process. it's pretty simple to install. the free version gives you a fair amount of functionality, too.

but beware: much as they may lead you to new conversations, checking these stats can be quite addictive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home