Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dell Makes Good... I hope

Back in November 2005 I posted a blog that described the failure of my DELL 5150, and how I discovered that I was one of thousands who had experienced the same problem.

Well, there is actually good news.


Dell has decide (in the face of stinging criticism and a class-action lawsuit) to extend the warranty for everyone who owns a Dell 5150.

Well, there is a Santa Claus, I guess.

The joke is that there are thousands of us who have just moved on to buy new machines and written off the company, so even when the laptop is repaired, I'm not sure what in the world I am going to do with it. It is significantly slower than my new machine, but it seems as if it should be reliable now that they have worked the kinks out of it after some 3 years.

Donate it? Keep it for future projects?

The problem at hand is to figure out how to get it from here in Kingston to someplace in the US. One of the challenges I have realized about living in Jamaica is that it is not easy to send packages back to the U.S., due to many custom restrictions. More on this as it unfolds.

3 Comments:

At 1/10/2007 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well so long as it's under warranty, you just need to call the toll free number (should be on the bottom of the laptop) and give them the service code (also on the bottom). They'll send a local service agent in the island to fix it.

Should be no problem

 
At 1/10/2007 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, if you get it fixed you could donate it or sell it for a reduced cost.

Hope you get it sorted out with Dell.

 
At 1/15/2007 2:01 PM, Blogger Rev Island said...

Lawd.

I just got a Inspiron 640m which is just the business brand for the e1405 but its ok so far - 2 GIG RAM, DVD burner, Bluetooth, extended battery.

I just had a bad experience with Sony Vaio K-33 - what a piece of junk - its now my home computer, I gave my desktop to my son.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home