Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Jamaican vs. US Prices

Comparing prices is not an easy thing to do here in Jamaica, especially as the prices I remember in Hollywood, Florida have changed as a result of several hurricanes, and huge increase in gas prices, and the effects of a housing collapse.

Two years has made a big difference.

Yet, now and again I try to make a direct comparison.

This week, I bought a box of labels for CD's, and when confronted with the J$1800 price I cussed to myself thinking that "dem was a set of tief."

Well, to my shock, the package was cheaper to get from the local store than it would be to order it in the US.

In Jamaica:
J$1569 + 15% tax = J$1827.88

From OfficeDepot.com, ordering by mail but payng no sales tax:
US$20.98 + US$7.95 = $28.93

At the current exchange rate of 70:1, it is cheaper to buy the product in Jamaica.

Prices are difficult to track, because the exchange rate is always changing, and also it's easy to forget the 15% VAT.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home