Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

We're #1 -- The Murder Capital of the World (LA Times)

From the LA Times: Rise in Bloodshed beclouds Caribbean Paradise -- Click here

It is sobering to realize that in coming back to Jamaica, I chose to move to the country ranked #1 in annual homicides (for countries that are not in a state of war.) Also, Trinidad and St. Lucia are not all that far behind.

On the flip-side, when we do emerge from this dark period, I wonder what things will be like? Already there is evidence that our murders have dropped by 20% over last year.

4 Comments:

At 4/05/2006 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow,"....Nobody in his right mind goes to Kingston." says Mr. Lee in the Times article.

I guess I've got some serious mental issues to deal with if I'm to believe him, but perhaps I'm also in denial.

Anyway, I'll be there walking the streets in Kingston after midnight on April 15th....Wish me luck!

And, I'm paying big bucks for the privilege, I might add.

 
At 4/05/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger fwade said...

I was pissed when I read that line also.

I guess that makes me crazy?

I will be there playing jouvert on April 15th also, but I suppose that the fact that I will be covered in paint and/or mud puts me squarely in the mad-house also.

And I am also paying for the privilege of doing so!!! (lesser bucks though, so I'm not as crazy.)

 
At 4/05/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction:

Thats April 22nd in New Kingston, the 15th of April is the Beach Jouvert at James Bond Beach in Oracabassa on the North Coast.

 
At 9/22/2007 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamaica is tiny though.

Alternatively, cities with slightly smaller populations than Jamaica recorded a similar number or more homicides than the caribbean island the same year.

Greater Cali in Colombia has an almost identical homicide rate and murder total to Jamaica while the Venezuelan capital Caracas is worse than both. So really, the 2005 'murder capital of the world' title is undeserved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home