Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Immigration Update

Ah call, ah call, ah call.

I tried over 3 separate days to reach the Ministry of Justice to get an update on my official citizenship filing. The phone was perpetually busy at all numbers, and the few times that I got a ring, it rang without an answer.

On the third day, however, someone answered, and then transferred me to the person in charge of citizenship that I had been trying to reach. At this point, it has been 7 months since I applied, after being told it would take 6 months.

The person I spoke with took my number and promised to call me back.

The following day she did. I was shocked, to put it mildly.

She advised me that it would take a further week to get things completed as they were running behind schedule, and that I would be called when it was completed.

In the meantime, I have been using my Jamaican passport, and wondering if anything will change when the papers finally do come through or if it is all just a formality.

We shall see.

Note to all Jamaicans born overseas: get this process done as soon as you can, as it apparently makes many things "much, much easier."

We shall see.

2 Comments:

At 6/10/2006 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'm going through this on the other end. Good luck.

 
At 6/13/2006 7:22 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Good luck to you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home