Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Disturbing Website

If you feel inclined, please visit the blog: http://killbattyman.blogspot.com and flag it as inappropriate by clicking on the icon "Flag Blog" at the top left.

Caribbean360.com carried an article on its existence.

Of course, there is an argument to be made for free speech and leaving it as an example of... of something that scared me enough to wonder if I should even comment on it. After all, it is safer to ignore it altogether, and the links to different gun companies made me shudder.

And then, there are readers who would agree with everything on the site, and send the link on to other people who also agree.

I doubt that I have ever visited a site that I could not read all the way through... this was one. I experienced a mix of feelings: hate, confusion and ultimately, my own sorrow.

P.S. Within a few hours of my post, the website was removed from blogger. It looks as if by the time I read about it, a campaign from internet users around the world had started, calling for it to be pulled down by Google. Amazingly, it had actually been around for more than a year, operating under the radar, apparently.

The site was operated by someone with considerable web skills, and they spent a LOT of time getting their message "right." Once again... disturbing.

P.P.S Well, it is not quite gone. Here is an apparent older version of the site through 2004 at http://killbattyman.typepad.com/my_weblog/

1 Comments:

At 2/26/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger JamaicanFunk said...

Well, fwade, the Half Way Tree mob must have been this blogger's muse. I've actually witnessed a mob beating of a gay man, which happened during the summer of 1986 in Downtown Kingston. Read the account on my blog at http://butseeyah.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home