Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Practical Advice - Surge Protectors

Shortly after moving to Jamaica, someone asked me if I had bought the special surge protector for refrigerators.

The what?

She advised me that there was a specially designed Jamaican device that was not sold in the U.S., and was made to protect against lightning surges.

One of the features of this device is that it has a 10-15 minute delay after a power-cut before it comes back on. I think it is designed this way because a surge is likely to come shortly power is returned to a home.

It is a must-have.

2 Comments:

At 7/23/2007 9:54 PM, Blogger Thunder and Rain said...

Can you be a little more specific about the surge suppressor. Why is it different from others? What is it and where can you get it? I live in Nevis and we have power outages all DE TIME!!

 
At 7/26/2007 4:24 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Mamie,

I wish I could. As far as I know it is only available here in Jamaica and I could not find a picture of it online.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be very widely marketed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home