Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

How Expensive is Kingston, Jamaica?

This is a tough one to answer, but I have been asked the question so many times that I thought I should at least throw out some possible responses.

I tell readers who write to me that the cost of living here seems to be to be almost equivalent to South Florida, when I left in 2005, and before the prices of real estate when through the roof. Of course, this is in US$.

Other measures of how expensive a country is, include the "Big Mac Index" which just compares one country's price for the famous McDonald's sandwich from one country to another, taking into account the exchange rate.

Here is a link from 2003 showing Jamaica at US$1.99, which looks to be the middle of the pack.

Here is another link comparing the cost of living in different cities.

Once again, it shows Jamaica to be in the middle of the pack, just above Cleveland.

If anyone can shed some more light on these measures, please do!

3 Comments:

At 8/14/2007 7:00 PM, Blogger LADY ROOTS said...

Moved to the south coast (St. Elizabeth) from south Florida in 1997. Back then it cost JA$800 to fill the tank of the RAV-4, now it is JA$3,600. The electric bill was JA$1,800 then and the one that just came for August is JA$9,005. The Jamaican dollar has devalued from 47JA/1US to 68/1 in that time. Those of us on a "fixed" income have had to "turn han', mek fashun" just to get by.
Bless up from the country folks,
Lady Roots
St. Elizabeth, Jamaica

 
At 8/27/2007 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the UK. We heard the terrible news about the hurriane in Jamaica at force5. I thinking of sending a bank transfer to my aunt as a surpise (she had moved back to Jamacia from Britain). After reading the comments, I am not sure the money I'll be sending will enough! I'm shocked on the cost of living in Jamaica. Why is the cost of electricity so expensive? Who supplies the electricty?
Sandi
United Kingdom

 
At 8/27/2007 7:09 AM, Blogger fwade said...

Our electricity is provided by imported oil, the price of which has sky-rocketed in the past few years.

We have no indigenous source of power (other than a little solar and wind here and there.)

The power company is owned by Marubeni Corp, a Japanese company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home