Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

The British Migration

I don't know much about  the migration of Caribbean people to the U.K., but this book seems to be a powerful resources for explaining the experience.  It is called "Tracing Jamaica's Migration Process."

From the outside it seems to be very different from the American experience, in ways that I can't quite distinguish at the moment.

Interestingly, I am yet to find a novel that relates to the experience of Jamaicans in the U.S. -- if it exists, please let me know.  Andrea Levy is the definitive author when it comes to the British-Jamaican migration experience and I long for an author who will do the same for the North American migration of the 1970's onwards.

4 Comments:

At 9/27/2007 3:22 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Francis why don't you write it? You have already written a great deal about it on this blog.

What do you think?

Gary

 
At 9/27/2007 4:18 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Mi cyaa write fiction atall atall -- check Geoffrey Philp (his link is on my site)!

 
At 9/28/2007 9:38 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Who says it has to be fiction. The reality of our experience in america is so much more entertaining.

I still nominate you!

Gary

 
At 10/04/2007 12:49 AM, Blogger geoffreyphilp101@gmail.com said...

Dear Francis,

Give thanks for the comment. Indeed, much of my work from Benjamin, my son to the recently published Grandpa Sydney's Anancy Stories deals with the Jamaican-American experience from the late seventies until now.

Blessings,
Geoffrey

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home