Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Bullet for Obama

There it is -- I said it.

That is my greatest fear in this presidential election.

I just watched an Obama video and have concluded that yes, he is the real article. He is just about everything that an American could want in a President. He is an authentic African American man, with all the credentials to be President, and all the skills to be a statesman, and all the wisdom to be a great leader.

The stronger he gets, the more confidence he generates.

And, the more confidence he generates, the more fear he stirs up. I felt it.

I felt afraid that somewhere deep in the bowels of America someone is making bullets with his name on it.

Obama's candidacy is frightening, in that he is calling people to take a tremendous risk and to trust that supporting him will not end up in crushing disappointment if one of those bullets is shot his way.

Is America ready again to believe in someone who seems to be that purely committed to its highest ideals? Are African Americans willing to take up their burdens and follow someone who is creating hope for them all... again?

If I were back living in the U.S. I like to think that would be giving him my time, money and energy. I like to believe that I would have the courage to support him, and what he stands for. I like to hope that I would overcome my fears and vote for him.

But I wouldn't forget that there are people who are saying "I'm not a racist or anything, but I would never vote for a colored man." And there are others thinking that they are not racists for thinking that they should try to kill him, but "patriots."

Because the hope he is creating needs to be bigger than a bullet, or a racist, or even his own life. It needs to be big enough to transform all who dare to believe, regardless of who wins the Presidency. That is exactly what America needs, and that is what the world needs.

Click here if needed

2 Comments:

At 1/23/2008 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post!!

 
At 1/26/2008 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey Hey!

Bite your tongue-- I am anxously awaiting super Tuesday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home