Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

More Memoirs of an Illegal Alien

In a prior post, I referred to an excellent series that is being released ever so slowly on Jamaicans.com -- "Memoirs of an Illegal Alien."

The series makes for compelling reading, and is the only account I have read in any form that described the Jamaican experience in America.

The protagonist is a Jamaican like many that I am sure we all know -- illegally living in the U.S., and barely getting by with purchased social security numbers, close scrapes with the law, living hand to mouth in someone's spare bedroom, odd jobs here and there, etc.

The issues come out every few months or so, and they are quite realistic -- so true to form that I imagine that the author is delaying his posting so that he can stay a few steps ahead of the law!

Here is the link to the entire series, once again.

I had to myself after reading his account of how he snuck back into the US from Bahamas in Series 31 -- is to REALLY worth it?

P.S. Has anyone read any other first hand accounts of Jamaicans living in the US in any form? I welcome the input.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3/03/2008 6:52 AM, Blogger Susuflastic said...

Hi Francis:

I receive your blog via feedblitz and I wanted you to know that your writing inspired me to start my own blog (after it came strongly reccomended by Ruth). My family (Parents) think its a case of the higher monkey climb the more he exposes his ---, but I just love that it gets me writing on a regular basis and while I'm not a photographer I am recording snipets of our life for my daughters to reminise over in the future.

My blog's address is,
http://wetravelthiswaybutonce.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the inspiration,

Yolan Williams-Hunter

P.S. I also get your magazine.

 
At 3/04/2008 11:56 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Thanks for the kind words Yolan!

Sorry you missed the 40's party in December -- it was quite classy, and a LOT of fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home