Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Thinking About Living in Jamaica

This is one of those times that people turn their attention to Jamaica, and thoughts come to mind about what it would like to live here and experience the weather, the beauty, the music, the culture, the sports, the people, etc. While most who come do so as tourists, there are many I hear from that would live to move here for a year or more, to experience the real Jamaica that exists beyond the beaches and all-inclusive hotels.

However, most I hear from have an idea that they also need to pay attention to the reports of crime and poverty, and before they buy the ticket that brings them to Jamaica, they need to take the whole reality of Jamaican into account.

Many come to this blog looking for assistance, and I haven't been able to help until now.

I am in the process of writing a book for those who are thinking about moving to Jamaica that's called "You're My Jamaica." It's not finished just yet, but anyone who is interested can click here for more information on the e-book.

Visit the following link for information on "You're My Jamaica."

P.S. How about Usain Bolt's run in the 100m sprint at the Beijing Olympic Games? There is talk that he might run the 4x400m relay also, and go for four golds.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8/25/2008 4:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That will definitely be a good read because I know I'd like to make that transition to living in Jamaica again. I enjoyed the Olympic events and now I kind of miss watching it in the evenings, it was something to look forward to. Jamaica did extremely though, I am proud.

 
At 8/25/2008 4:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

*extremely well

 
At 8/31/2008 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any light is good light. Lol to turn an old saying around a bit...
I spend my time between europe and africa.
I see the same thing with jamaica that i see in africa.
People believe what they see in magazines and on tv.
Wich we all know most of the times doesnt project a fair image at all.
But with africa we have the "hut syndrome"...alot of people think all africans lives in the country side and in huts.If i wanna see white beaches and paradise islands i have to turn to my own pictures, because not often is that shown anywhere.
With jamaica i see a diff thing.
Jamaica is a paradise, but whats behind the polished pictures?
Being one of those who always wanted to visit, but havent travelled there yet.
I am so ashamed that i fell for the general portrait of jamaica.
I think most people see amazing beaches and fabulous surroundings.
All the light shed on jamaica in the golden moments right now, let me open my eyes...and see that behind the beautiful photos is a country still struggeling and people managing the best they can.
I though i saw the world with open eyes...I THOUGHT!
So today i know jamaica a little better then before...and i will agree with morgan heritage "jamaica is a paradise but for those who are born and raised there, everyday is a struggle".
And what i wanted to say with this long note, was simply...the olympics was eye opening...and im thankful!
Swedish/gambian girl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home