Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

The British Migration

I don't know much about  the migration of Caribbean people to the U.K., but this book seems to be a powerful resources for explaining the experience.  It is called "Tracing Jamaica's Migration Process."

From the outside it seems to be very different from the American experience, in ways that I can't quite distinguish at the moment.

Interestingly, I am yet to find a novel that relates to the experience of Jamaicans in the U.S. -- if it exists, please let me know.  Andrea Levy is the definitive author when it comes to the British-Jamaican migration experience and I long for an author who will do the same for the North American migration of the 1970's onwards.

4 Comments:

At 9/27/2007 3:22 PM, Blogger GaryM said...

Francis why don't you write it? You have already written a great deal about it on this blog.

What do you think?

Gary

 
At 9/27/2007 4:18 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Mi cyaa write fiction atall atall -- check Geoffrey Philp (his link is on my site)!

 
At 9/28/2007 9:38 PM, Blogger GaryM said...

Who says it has to be fiction. The reality of our experience in america is so much more entertaining.

I still nominate you!

Gary

 
At 10/04/2007 12:49 AM, Blogger Geoffrey Philp said...

Dear Francis,

Give thanks for the comment. Indeed, much of my work from Benjamin, my son to the recently published Grandpa Sydney's Anancy Stories deals with the Jamaican-American experience from the late seventies until now.

Blessings,
Geoffrey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home