Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Unspeakable Treachery -- Black Americans, Jamericans and Obama

A recent article in the Sunday Gleaner on February 24th, by Dawn Rich, was a shocker.

While her articles seem to be missing from the online version of the Gleaner, this one probably saved some bits from flying across the internet when it wasn't carried so that overseas Jamaicans could read it.

She said:

"Jamericans are up in arms.  They're sending a firestorm of emails to the Editor, because I pointed out that Barack Obama was an imposter, and Hillary Clinton a victim.

Are these incensed letter-writers born and bred black Americans, or even brown ones?  They are most likely the ones... who fled the island because of Michael Manley in the early 1970's.  They are Jamericans, the ones we all can't stand even when they're relatives.... They try to rule us with money, either the actual thing or talk of it.  Yet when they die, they all want to be buried here.

I don't care much for black Americans either.  They are the most ungrateful people on the face of the Earth.  Abraham Lincoln, a Republican, set them free.  They repaid his party by becoming life-long Democrats.  This is an unspeakable treachery.  So you can keep them, for all I care."

Ouch.

I felt that one all the way in Brooklyn, Broward, Brampton and Brixton.

She continues:

"I underrated Barack Obama in only one respect last week, when I compared him to Bruce Golding.  He is much worse than that...... Obama can talk and do so like Martin Luther King.  But the latter was responsible only for a civil rights movement, not a country.

This is what makes Obama so potentially dangerous."

Wow.

I used to enjoy reading Dawn Ritch's writing, but something corrosive seems to have seeped into her columns.  I remember reading her article on "Bombastic Trinidadians" and the factual errors alone were stunning (ti's covered in my business blog -- http://fwconsulting.blogspot.com.)

Nowadays, it's the odd column here and there that I can complete without shaking my head, and this particular one left me without words.


2 Comments:

At 3/17/2008 7:53 PM, Blogger Mad Bull said...

Bwoy, Francis, when I read this one (Dawn's article) I scratched my head and said to myself, "I told you she was getting senile.". The management of the Gleaner ought to tell her that she needs to take a long rest. A long long rest. Perhaps she really shouldn't come back. When I think of the days when she and Morris Cargill were writing, and then I look at the rubbish she spews so frequently now, it hurts my head.

 
At 3/30/2008 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I want to visit Jamaica now, I am a black American who has the money and the means to visit, but
if Jamaicans look at us like the Africans do, then I will boycott Jamaica as the rest of the black world and go to racist Europe or racist Asia instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home