Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Jamaican Beauty

In my Move Back to Jamaica, I am sometimes struck by a glimpse of a world that I don't completely comprehend.

First these pictures, and the expressions on the young ladies' faces.

















Then the full pictures, now showing their outfits.















































And finally, the picture in its original context -- a contest for "Hottie Hottie of the Week" in the Star newspaper.



I don't know that I have a point here, other than that as someone Moving Back to Jamaica I am often struck to silence by thing that I see that I cannot put words to, as the thoughts that occur to me come s quickly that they all get jumbled up, without forming themselves into sensible sentences.

Today, I saw a mad-man talking and shouting to himself and no-one around him, and playing with a piece of string. He threw it into the street in front of my car.

Lots of times, all I can do is stare, and seeing this picture in the Star, and seeing the mad-man were just a couple that happened today.

I guess this is what happens when you transfer 21 years of North American living to a daily life in Kingston.

2 Comments:

At 4/08/2007 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss the intent?

I am slow sometimes

 
At 4/12/2007 4:39 PM, Blogger fwade said...

I'm slow too!

Sometimes a post works, and sometimes I don't even understand what I post up.

I think I am hoping that readers will just observe and take it in, and perhaps listen to their own reaction.

Perhaps a bit like looking at an abstract painting by Munch or Mondrian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home