Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Moving Away from A Lack of Common Sense

I can't speak for those Jamaicans who move back from Canada, England or other place, but there is a certain common-sense that , moving to Jamaica has brought me that did not exist in the U.S.

Living in America has a certain simplicity to it, and newcomers quickly learn that there is a standard explanation that is given for any and everything -- "it's all about money." This logic is pretty much unquestioned, and it leads to some strange behaviours (if it is true.)

Seen from the outside, it actually looks depressing. When I read articles like this one entitled "States Making it Easier for Doctors to say 'I'm Sorry" When Things Go Wrong" from here in Jamaica, I wonder how I used to live so easily in a society with an unquestioned commitment to make a lot of money, as quickly as possible.

A Move Back to Jamaica brings with it a certain kind of common-sense, a return to a life that is more simple and more immediate. Case in point: the advice that your mother gave you to "Say Sorry" makes sense again.

1 Comments:

At 5/08/2007 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I'm not trying to move BACK to Jamaica, so to speak, but I am trying to move to Jamaica. After visiting Jamaica the idea of the money hungry, cut throat US makes me disgusted!

There's something about Jamaica that literally speaks to my soul. Its that THING I've always been missing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home