Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Why do you blog? and other questions

A college student from Chicago recently asked me the following questions as part of an assignment she is doing. I thought I would share the answers here.

1. Your blog is called "Moving Back to Jamaica." Where else have you lived?
2. Why and when did you first start blogging?
3. Do you think blogging plays an important role in global communication?
4. How has blogging affected your every day life, or how you view the world?
5. What blogs do you regularly read?
6. Do you feel like you represent Jamaican people in your blog, or just yourself personally?
7. Is your blog aimed at specific readers?
8. What could you tell us in Chicago and around the world about Jamaica, so that we can further understand where you live and what it is like?
9. Are there any assumptions about or stereotypes of Jamaica you would like to set straight? Verify?
10. Anything else you'd like to share?

1. Your blog is called "Moving Back to Jamaica." Where else have you lived?

Other than Kingston, Jamaica I have lived in Ithaca, New York, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Tampa, Florida, Piscataway NJ, Fort Lauderdale FL

2. Why and when did you first start blogging?

i had heard about blogging but could not figure out what one was, or why someone would want one. Then I found a few, and discovered (in 2005) that I could create my own. I started Moving Back to Jamaica when I wanted to document all that I was learning about the process of moving home. i could find no information on the process on the internet or anywhere else, and I knew that many Jamaicans wanted to return, but didn't know how.

My first few posts were about the practical aspects of Moving Back and then it grew to include other dimensions, including spiritual and mental challenges.

3. Do you think blogging plays an important role in global communication?


Absolutely. I have some 200 readers per day, and there is no way I could reach them without this technology.

4. How has blogging affected your every day life, or how you view the world?

As I go through my daily life here in Kingston, I find myself looking for topics to write about that I can share with my readers. I am keen to maintain my outsider perspective, even as I get accustomed to life here in Jamaica. Eventually, I suspect that the blog will come to an end when I have finished my move back. Perhaps I could hand it on to someone else?

5. What blogs do you regularly read?

I don't have a regular diet, but most of what I read I do to catch up on friends and their writing, and also to research new ideas for my other blogs. I tend to read a lot of business blogs, and news blogs. Barbados Free Press blog is one that I enjoy as it has a Caribbean theme, and features incisive reporting.

6. Do you feel like you represent Jamaican people in your blog, or just yourself personally?
I think that I represent Jamaicans who have just moved back to Jamaica from living abroad for more than a few years. They tell me that I capture their experiences well. The average Jamaican really could not care less, I think.

7. Is your blog aimed at specific readers?
Absolutely. The people who read tend to be located outside of Jamaica, and are mostly Jamaicans thinking of moving back. Some who have already returned also read it as I share their experiences.

8. What could you tell us in Chicago and around the world about Jamaica, so that we can further understand where you live and what it is like?
We are a country of contrasts. The beauty of the country is stunning. So are the social ills, in the form of poverty, crime and violence. It makes for an excellent experience for tourists, but a risky and chaotic one for local Jamaicans.

9. Are there any assumptions about or stereotypes of Jamaica you would like to set straight? Verify?
We don't all smoke ganja (pot!) Jamaica is safe for tourists who want to experience a different culture. The ones who want it to be like Disney will be disappointed.

10. Anything else you'd like to share?

Nope -- thanks for asking!


2 Comments:

At 1/25/2008 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent questions and erudite responses regarding blogging!!RESPECT!!

 
At 10/16/2009 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey

Just to let you know that I read your blog and I have never lived anywhere else but here in Jamaica.

I've just started cycling and want to hear more about that part of your life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home