Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Opportunities in Jamaica

This is an interesting view from someone who recently moved back home.

I agree entirely! The link is from Expat Exchange:

Hi

I was born in the UK and moved to Jamaica 2 years ago leaving all my family and friends behind. I miss them terribly but I really wanted a better quality of life and wanted to be in a country where no one tells me I cant do this or that!

First and most importtant thing is dont come to Jamaica if you are going to constantly compare it to UK. If you are looking for opportunities there are plenty. However, you need to just find a different way of doing things.

I recently completed my Real Estate course and am about to obtain my license all because I was fed up of hearing about the bad experiences returnees faced upon returning to Jamaica. So for me that is an opportunity I have carved out for myself because I am constantly being asked for help in that area and much more.

I am glad to see that you are researching before making the trip I would also suggest coming over to live for between 4-6 months if possible and get a real feel for living here. You do have to take into account where in Jamaica you want to live, what are the amenities in your chosen area, transport etc.

I would like to conclude by saying Jamaica is a great place to live if it was not the rich Jamaicans would have left and the Spanish would not be coming in droves.

2 Comments:

At 8/13/2009 9:34 AM, Blogger Michael Dixon said...

Thanks for the endorsement of the country. I am a proud Jamaican: have lived here all my life. I have considered migrating and even had the opportunity to live in the United Arab Emirates but choose not to because of the underlying and subtle slave/cast system that operates within the business environments there. And the fact that if you sneeze incorrectly you can be deported and can never, ever become a citizen of the country.

Jamaica has many problems but I am confident that we will emerge from them a better nation, once the citizens become more active in determining their destiny. Europe and other countries, that are bastions of civility their dark and tumultuous era. So will we!

 
At 10/19/2009 7:51 AM, Blogger Na Mi Pueblo said...

One would think that a European would find it hard to settle in Jamaica. You seem to have adapted successfully. It seems like an exciting country. Hope you can visit us too at www.namipueblo.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home