Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Finding Time to Blog

One of the questions I get often is "where do you find the time to do this (blogging thing)?"

I can't explain why, but blogging has become a pretty important part of my everyday life. I blog on my computer. I blog on my Tungsten. I scratch ideas on a pad that I carry around. I save messages on my mp3 player if I'm out running and have it with me.

Blogging has somehow hit a cord with me, and since I started last year March I think about what I'm going to post all the time -- I'm more or less on the lookout for stuff to write about constantly, and now have a list that I will definitely never ever get to the bottom of.

What keeps me going is the thought that there either is, or will be, someone out there who is reading this (like you) who might one day decide that they want to return to live in Jamaica, or some other Caribbean island, and have no idea as to where to start. I started writing when I could find nothing other than basic information on where to get the right forms and what ministries to deliver the forms to.

And , I'm also writing to give what hopefully will be future children and grandchildren an idea of some of the thoughts that are buzzing through my head. I'm not sure what they'll make of it all, of course, but perhaps it might be mildly entertaining.

But I guess I'm really writing for my own enjoyment, to be honest. Public writing is different than keeping a private diary, which would bore me to tears... I'll admit, there is something slightly risky about the whole thing, which is probably what keeps me writing. After all, I happen to be in the business of "pushing the edge" in my career, so why not do it here also?

I'm glad to report that writing, on a whole, has transformed from a chore (a necesary evil) into something that I just can't wait to do. That change has been a tremendous gift from the Universe.

5 Comments:

At 2/10/2006 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great to be able to read such an informative blog generated from my (adopted) second home. I am pleased to read of all of the advancements Jamaica has made in the world of technology and communication. Thank you for sharing -- please continue.

 
At 2/10/2006 2:11 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Thanks much!

I wanted to provide for others what i could not find for myself, and it sounds like you're confirming my original intention -- 'preciate it.

So, are you planning to come back?

 
At 2/10/2006 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I return to Jamaica again and again. If I could find a means of generating adequate resources (other than tourism) I'd likely move there. Long-range plans would be to stay six months in JA and six months in the US.

 
At 5/16/2007 12:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have been reading your blog every day since I discovered it last week. Yes I've been reading from the beginning :) I enjoy your writing and find them humorous and informative. I plan to return in to either JA or some other island at some point in the future.

 
At 5/16/2007 4:42 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Joy,

Thanks for the kind words!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home