Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Seeing from Afar

In an earlier blog, I mentioned that one of the great things about travelling to another similar, but not altogether bizarrely different country, is that you can learn so much about the country you are leaving behind.

Being away from Jamaica allows one to see so much about our country that it benefits everyone to have our people so mobile.

Conversely, Moving Back to Jamaica has also meant moving from America, and now that I am away, I can see quite a few things about that country much more clearly.

This conversation between A Trini and an American Christian conservative is quite illuminating, and quite far away from what I think the prevailing Christian viewpoint is outside of the USA. it is long, but perfect for what we are wrestling with here in Jamaica with the passage of our new Charter of Rights.

Click here for part 1

Click here for parts 2 and 3




Cat: Spirit

4 Comments:

At 6/19/2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that has always been one of the best parts of living in other countries (which I have now done 3 times for different lengths of time in 3 different countries). LEarning about new places definitely gives you an appreciation for what you left at home and coming home is just as enlightening.

 
At 6/26/2006 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perspective is a heck of a thing. I think sometimes people fail to, or ignore the urge to just step back from it all, and put things in perspective... to think, analyze and otherwise consider all that's going on around them. We should all take the time to 'see from afar' every once in a while. It couldn't hurt.

Keep up the good work Mr. Wade.

 
At 6/30/2006 4:34 AM, Blogger fwade said...

I am currently in Chicago on business, and this is my first trip to the US since April.

Each time I come back to the US it looks more and more different.

What strikes me this time is how high a standard is maintained for so many things, and that there must be millions of people who are striving to keep a high standard when no-one is watching.

In Jamaica, we just do not have that kind of discipline... heck, I struggle to keep the standard of my own writing in this blog high, especially when I convince myself that no-one else in the world is reading!!

 
At 6/30/2006 4:34 AM, Blogger fwade said...

Drewcatt -- thanks for the kind words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home