Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Drum Pan Man

While Kingstonians abroad can only water at the mouth at the idea of the drum pan chicken sold on Red Hills Road, I have the luxury as a returnee of forsaking it for even better drum-pan chicken.

I do know that driving along Red Hills Road at night only to be assaulted by the heavy fog of BBQ smoke is irresisttable.

However, the drum pan man across the road from where I live has become my partner on Friday nights, so much so that I can work with him by phone, placing my order for him to deliver of just-in-time, mouth-watering delicious chicken.

And it is not just the chicken that is excellent,although his chicken tastes good all the way down to the bone. He deos a stuffed fish (with skellion, callalloo and okra) that is exquisite. He cooks it slowly in the BBQ wrapped with foil, and when it comes out it is juicy and succulent and full of flavour.

Top that off with some breadfruit or hard-dough bread and it is the perfect way to eat out Jamaican style.

If only he would be open more frequently than on Friday and Saturday nights.

11 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made my mouth water. Mmmmmm.....

 
At 8/07/2006 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit Francis, after reading that, I was just about to grab my car keys and drive all the way to Red Hills Road to search for this man, only to read dat him only come out on Fridays and Saturdays. Lawd, yu just raise up mi hopes and dash it down.

 
At 8/08/2006 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ate some last night at the Independence Gala last night.

 
At 8/08/2006 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get the impression that this chicken man is not on Red Hills Road at all. Weh him deh?

 
At 8/09/2006 5:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah,got introduced to pan chicken and it was good

 
At 8/09/2006 6:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Willie near the Shell gas station in Manor Park is the lick at 2 AM when lika on board!

 
At 8/09/2006 7:48 AM, Blogger fwade said...

'gela,

Sorry bout dat.

Send me an email and I will hook you up -- he is not on Red Hills Road atall -- so is a good ting you nevah go looking!

 
At 8/09/2006 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually Francis, that should be Wally, not Willie.

 
At 8/10/2006 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, will do, the way this post had me thinking about pan chicken, I did what I thought was the next best thing and went to Chelsea... well, mouth still watering for the pan chicken

 
At 8/12/2006 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HHMMM Pan Chicken, I frequent the Red hills road ones myself...don't have a working relationship where I can place my order like you though, lol. I have had better pan chicken, but theirs nuh too bad. Bwoy mi Hungry yah now!

 
At 8/19/2006 12:54 PM, Blogger fwade said...

I have a theory that food that is prepared with love tastes better.

My drum pan man does indeed love up that chicken... (and not in a nasty way either.)

LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home