Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Year of Blogging

On August 5th I celebrate one year of Moving Back to Jamaica.

But before I get to that, I realized that I missed another important anniversary -- I have now spent a year and a month blogging.

13 months and 120 something blogs later, and what have I learned? Well, clearly I love this creative medium which is pretty much the only creative/artistic endeavour I have stuck with since recorder lessons in prep school with Miss Simpson.


Blogging for me has become a craft -- something I am keen to master. I recently downloaded a program called TextAloud Speak, which reads text from the page. I use it for every blog that I write, plus other things like letters and reports. It is the kind of thing one does when the commitment is to be more than just a dabbler.

In the year of blogging my writing style has changed, becoming more relaxed and nuanced, and less impatient. I owe that to the discipline of completing an entry approximately every other day, for this blog and its companion, Chronicles from a Caribbean Cubicle.

Now, I think about writing all the time, and when something remarkable in my life happens, the first thought I have is "I have GOT to blog about this!" The juicy stuff gets put in this blog. The business stuff gets put in the other.

And it seems like the more I write, the more I am able to write. Whatever the source is, it keeps giving the more I express myself, to the point where I can now feel a book in my future.

So... I celebrate one year of wild and free expression, an outlet to send thoughts into the world where anyone can find them, and a handful actually read them (which is still a miracle to me!)

Thanks for reading, commenting, and passing on the link to others. Although I cannot ever meet everyone, please know and understand that your presence is what keeps me writing, and The Source giving.

6 Comments:

At 8/01/2006 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very welcome. :-) I have to say I greatly enjoy your writing style. So congrats and keep it up. I have to admit I let my one year blogging anniversary pass without fanfare earlier this year.

 
At 8/02/2006 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Francis.

 
At 8/02/2006 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Francis.

I have long got past that "I have to blog about it" stage, but I know what you refer to. I was like that perhaps a year and a half ago. Now, I am limbo. If blogs can be likened to tides, I feel mine is ebbing. In times to come, I may well end up doing more reading than writing.....but I have enjoyed it.

 
At 8/03/2006 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations :) Have you considered what your book will be on?

 
At 8/06/2006 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big up. May you have many more pass and see you still blogging.

 
At 8/07/2006 7:13 AM, Blogger fwade said...

Thanks everyone!

I remember wondering a year ago if anyone would ever read my blog. My stats tell me that I have about 50+ readers per day -- seems to be a bit of a miracle, to be honest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home