Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Easy Like Sunday Morning

I used to love that Lionel Richie song... "Easy."

Until I moved to the US, that is, and got into a top 10 university in upstate New York, in engineering.

Then Sunday became a time to study or work. In fact, I spent all of my time either studying or working (I had a variety of jobs.)


When I graduated, Sundays become a time to do errands, odd jobs, catch up on bills, go to the movies, do shopping, tour the malls, etc. American is so convenient! Everything is always open late, and open 7 days a week also. Plus, the society is one in which people like to work, as evidenced by many studies that show that Americans take less vacation than any other industrialised country (and I would say, any country at all.)

So, Sundays become for me a time to get a LOT of stuff done. How convenient.

Here in Jamaica it is Sunday, and it is quiet, although there is more activity than usual because tomorrow is Independence Day.

Sundays in Jamaica actually take some getting used to for returnees from North America, because nothing is open, no-one is working, the offices are closed... and it is expected that one will NOT work on this, the day of rest.

Sure, it's a pain when you want to go out and buy that shirt that you would like to wear to that function on Sunday night, that you forgot you needed.

But with the lack of convenience comes a much slower pace, and a very different expectation.

I remember when I started travelling to Jamaica in 1997 or so. I had to train myself to decompress on the flight down, knowing that I couldn't rush into life the way I was used to doing in the US.

Now, Sunday is a time for exercise, sleep, reading the Observer, Gleaner and Herald, eating with family, blogging, and recharging the batteries.

I am teaching myself to take it easy.

Like Sunday morning, I guess.

5 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say to that one is "Welcome Home" :-) Everywhere else I have lived I carried my easy Sunday with me.

 
At 8/07/2006 8:50 AM, Blogger fwade said...

B, You have the right idea!

 
At 8/10/2006 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamaica, No problem 'mon'

 
At 8/14/2006 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pace of American living ages many who live in that society Francis.

Jamaica has changed as well, in old days supermarkets/gas stations never opened on Sundays...now that has changed.

The pace of Caribbean living and our ability to socialize with bredrins/family regularly is perhaps one of the main reasons why many people I know still live here....or have migrated and returned! Somehow, folks living in the US just seem to get 'caught up'! Perhaps I am generalizing....

Welcome back a yard indeed!

 
At 8/19/2006 1:01 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Dr D,

Well said.

"Caught up" -- that is a great way to say it. Do you know that feeling you feel when someone Jamaican you used to know from a long time back "goes Yankee?"

They get the accent, mannerisms, logic, thinking, curse words, ... all of it down pat.

It is a certain slow kind of sadness, especially when you remember who they were back when...

And you can't recognize them now.

Yuh just shake yuh head.

I had some friends "go Yankee" with frightening speed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home