Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Coming Back for the Right Reasons

At various points on this blog, I have talked about my reasons for coming back to Jamaica.

One reason is that I wanted to be closer to my parents -- within driving range rather than calling range or internet range.

A few weeks ago my father-in-law passed away suddenly.  He was 90, so it was not altogether unexpected, but I had seen him in Trinidad only a few days before, and spent the night with him, so it was a bit of a shock.

I had a feeling of gratitude for my return to live in Jamaica 2 years ago, because I would not have gotten to know him if I had remained in New Jersey, or even in Miami. 

As I watch my own parents get older, I am even more happy to be here, as the comforts of living in the US are outweighed by the benefits of being close to family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home