Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Upgraded Pepper Shrimp

Driving through Middle Quarters the other day led us to a small, roadside shack that sells cooked food.

As Jamaicans know, Middle Quarters is pepper shrimp country. I used to think that the shrimp I would buy in the bag on the road to Negril from the ladies of that town were one of Jamaica's unique treats that epitomised the best of our country's roadside eating.

I believed this was true until I stopped by this small food-shop with 2 tables and way too many flies, and had fresh-cooked pepper shrimp and Janga (shrimp) soup for the first time.

I am here to tell every Yardie and tourist that there are two kinds of pepper shrimp -- one that is cooked and placed in the bag, and the other that comes straight from the pot. And, the one that comes straight from the pot will bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your face.

I had it for the first time a few weeks ago, and experienced an explosion of flavour that was simply amazing. Apparently, something happens to pepper shrimps when they cool down, and something is undoubtedly lost in the process. The difference is startling.

The place I visited is on the right, just a little east of the center of town. It's opposite a smalls store, and it has a name I don't remember, that can barely be seen while driving by.

Like many things in Jamaica, it is a quiet secret, andyou may have to discover it for yourself if you love pepper shrimp.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2/08/2008 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information on the pepper shrimp soup.The next time I am passing through Middle Quarters I will definitely check it out.HRESPECT!!

 
At 9/03/2008 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN!!! I LOVE PEPPER SHRIMP!!! We went home last month to see family, my husband is from Montego Bay and I am from Mandiville and I make sure that he drive the old way so that I can stop in middle quarter to get some shrimp. I ate about $3000 JD in shrimp I even eat the head just to make sure that nothing goes to waste. Please tell me the name of the place...katrona23@hotmail.com

 
At 9/03/2008 4:15 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Miss Katrona -- de place don't have no name!

It's around a bend... opposite a likkle store... Dat's all mi know! Mi know whey it look like, but that's it!

I need to tek a picture next time because de shrimp there mek big man bawl...

 
At 5/02/2010 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol lol im from southfield but live in canada i really didnt know how much jamaican food is good until i move over here.I am going back to jamaica and i want to vist YS falls i really really neeed to get some shrimp and try that soup you talk about. i will try look for that plave you talk about. my husband dont like papper it not his friend he get very sick but my big girl and 2nd girl will like to try it it will be there frist time ill let you know what i think.
almi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home