Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Where to take "Moving Back to Jamaica"

I have been giving some thought to the future of this blog, Moving Back to Jamaica, after the positive response I received to the idea of turning some of what I have written here into a book.

It makes me think that I should have some kind of "strategy."

Not that I got to this point with any kind of strategy in mind -- it was much more a case of buck-up than anything else. I started writing, and just have not been able to stop in the past three years about this major life-changing event I undertook without really knowing what I was doing.

One fact that I have to consider is that my wife (with my encouragement) has started a transition business to help expats make the move to Jamaica successfully. While this blog is mostly read by Jamaicans (I believe,) from a slightly different angle it can also be useful to expats who are moving here. As far as I can tell, it is the only blog of its kind in the region.

However, I did run across an Indian fellow who chronicled his return to Bombay, and I am looking forward to listening to his book!

But what purpose will this blog serve once I have completed my own transition? I imagine that I could have a post that simply states "move back completed" and some kind of "gone fishing" sign hanging up on the last post.

From now until then, I am loving the idea of getting the book done, and making it available in every little West Indian store in the US, Canada and the U.K. It would help to fulfill my original purpose, which was to provide for others the kind of help I looked for when I was planning my move in 2003 but could not find.

I also imagine using it a resource for expats moving to Jamaica, which leads me to the reason for planning to put up my first advertisement. It might be a sidebar ad that links to my wife's blog for expats who are looking for assistance in moving to Jamaica.

It won't actually be what I would call "monetizing" the site, but it might be a first step in that direction.

Also, I plan a long overdue move from blogspot to Wordpress, hosted on my own hosted service, complete with a domain name -- maybe "movebacktoja.jm" or something of the sort. It's becoming easier to move a blog from blogger to Wordpress, so I will definitely be making the transition.

I also have toyed with the idea of proposing a column in the Jamaica Overseas Gleaner. When I lived in the U.S., I would have LOVED to be able to read anything about moving back to Jamaica, if I could only have found it. I have a feeling that there are many who don't have computer access, but feel the way I used to feel.

What I can't imagine doing at the moment is a full range of information products -- including podcasts, e-learning and the like. I might be wrong, but I don't think there is an interest in these kinds of things, as they might be too "techie" for my average reader -- a Jamaican professional living abroad.

This is what consitutes my "strategy" at the moment and we'll see if this changes much anytime soon.

6 Comments:

At 7/25/2008 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing is wrong with the monetization of the site!!

 
At 7/25/2008 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monetization of the site sounds great!!

 
At 7/27/2008 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a blog centered around in-depth examination of Jamaican culture, and Jamaica in general. Cultural habits, nature, economy, music, dress, how tourism affects the islands - anything like these could be grist for excellent essays. If such exists, let me know. Compiling such essays would make an excellent (e-)book as well.

Thanks for what you have written so far Francis.

D

 
At 7/31/2008 9:56 PM, Blogger myersgirl3 said...

The average Jamaican abroad may not be but I think most of the average Jamaica professionals abroad are fairly computer proficient and, if interested in returning home, would buy information products. I know I would.

 
At 8/02/2008 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog while looking for information on transitioning home (Barbados) from the US. And frankly, I do believe this is the only -- or at least the most comprehensive blog of this kind. I am not certain what percentage of my fellow readers are also not specifically interested in JA but more so how you successfully made your move. But, if it were possible to tread the line of broad and specific in terms of your move and let your wife handle the expat stuff on her blog, I think it will be more beneficial to readers such as myself.

 
At 8/04/2008 12:36 PM, Blogger fwade said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home