Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Gustav Deals Us a Blow

Hot on the heels of our Olympic success, and in the midst of our celebrations, Gustav has come along to deal us a good and proper "mash up."

Rainfall started at about 2:00pm on Thursday and only started to relent at around 9:00pm tonight. Not that it's stopped entirely, as it continues to come and go. My place has sprung some interesting leaks from the windows and doors, as the "sideways rain" has crept in and found all the imperfect seals facing the outside.

This one was a surprise, to say the least.

On Wednesday night it was passing us by, and on Thursday morning it had made a radical change of direction, going south for maybe 100 miles before continuing along the length of the island of Jamaica.

It's enough to give someone who wants to return to live in Jamaica pause for thought, unless they are living in Florida, Texas or Louisiana, because that's where Gustav appear to be headed next.

One thing that someone who returns must be ready to deal with is the uncertainty and chaos and makes like confusing, and yet sweet at the same time. This blog is a product of my return, and before coming home I really did very little writing of any kind.

The jarring nature of the differences that someone returning to Jamaica can lead to both good and bad, and I can imagine that others would turn to music, art, drama or dance to find a way to express the transformation they are undergoing. In my case, my writing has been my canvas.

P.S. In my professional life, the move back has led me to create a new method of developing custom time management systems -- see http://2time-sys.com

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home