Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Monday, February 13, 2006

3 words I've never heard put together

A "gay" ...... "Jamaican" ....... "American."

Ok, this is a first, coming on the heels of my last blog on my "ugly reaction."

In today's Sunday Gleaner I heard for the first time about Thomas Glave: a gay, Jamaican American.

That for me is a first. The only person who I know of that openly said he was a gay Jamaican was Brian Williamson, who was murdered a couple of years ago a few months after he publicly made that statement. I only heard about this after the fact.

So, Glave is the only living person I know who has openly stated that he is a gay Jamaican (albeit living in America.)

Incidentally, Glave is a professor of literature at SUNY Binghamton, and has a book published (available on Amazon.com) called Words to Our Now: Imagination and Dissent.

I think I'll be doing some reading as the topic of his work has to do with being a gay Jamaican, and the hatred that he experiences as a result of his sexual orientation.

Sounds like something I'll be reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home