Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Monday, March 31, 2008

No More Mosquito Meat

Everyone in Jamaica who has ever been around foreigners knows that local mosquitoes love to attack foreigners.

I don't know why, but I have a new theory... foreigner's taste better.

Up until recently, my wife and I would be in the same room, same bed pr same office and she would be stung while I would be ignored.

That is, until she had a 3 week bout of dengue fever last year, and all of a sudden the bites stopped.  I take it to mean that somehow dengue changes the "taste" of blood in some way, rendering it unpalatable to our locals.

I have no idea if I am right, but there does seem to be a correlation. If so, perhaps there might be documented evidence to back this up?  If there is, do let me know.

4 Comments:

At 3/31/2008 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lay opinion as opposed to a medical or scientific one.There is a possibility that the medicine or pharmaceuticals which your wife consumed to get rid of the dengue fever may have been toxic to the mosquitoes,hence,her blood was no longer appealing or palatable in terms of bites from the mosquitoes.Therefore, the reason for the sudden stop in bites.

 
At 3/31/2008 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds plausible anonymous!!

 
At 3/31/2008 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some perfumes contain octenol which along with carbon dioxide, attracts mosquitos. Did your wife change perfumes? Or stop wearing it?

The insect repellent DEET (which is very effective BTW) works by blocking the receptors in mosquitos that detect octenol.

In Canada, the mosquitos have teeth like chainsaws. :D

D

 
At 4/08/2012 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe some like white meat and others like dark meat? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home