Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Working up the Courage to Come Home?

Ever since I found out that my friend Jean Wilson could write like this, I have been in awe of her, and her power with words.

No More Smalling Up of Me


No more meekly saying 'yes'
when my heart is screaming 'no'
No more taming of my feelings
so my power won't show
No more hiding my exuberance from disapproving eyes
No more watering down myself
so my spirit won't rise.

No more 'smalling up' of me
pretending I'm not here
No more running from the music
and the spotlight's glare
No more living in this prison
barricaded by my fears
No more turning and retreating
in the face of new frontiers.

Even as I am speaking
I am taking shape and form
harnessing my powers like a gathering storm
There's no obstacle so bold
as to dare stand in my way
I am taking back my life
and I am doing it today.

Jean Wilson

4 Comments:

At 8/17/2006 2:56 PM, Blogger Mad Bull said...

Yeah, it nice!

 
At 8/19/2006 12:51 PM, Blogger fwade said...

And jean herself is so unassuming... I am tring to memorize this poem, but... de brain rusty.

 
At 8/19/2006 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I needed that . . . today!

 
At 8/31/2006 1:49 AM, Blogger Gela said...

Awesome poem. She has others?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home