Moving Back to Jamaica

A blog about my Move Back to Jamaica after 20+ years of living in the US. Most of the articles focus on the period from 2005-2009 when the transition was new, and at it's most challenging.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Guineps

My mind is on Guineps. How good they are. How I have not tasted one in a long time. How they seem a little dangerous because of the large seed.

Picking and eating this exquisite fruit is one of my great childhood memories.

My favorite Guinep tree lived in the backyard of my Grand Aunt’s property. Ga’Ma, as we fondly called my Grandmother’s beloved sister, would bring out an old cane neatly tied with a hook from a clothes hanger made specifically for Guinep season. She would poke and grasp at the branches shaking them gently until the delicious green baubles came tumbling into my outstretched skirt. Then the long session of eating. Do you remember how that Guinep sounds when you bite into it? The delicious crack that it makes as the crisp skin gives way under your teeth?

That flavor cannot truly be compared to any other taste that I know…Heaven.

And speaking of Heaven…now I’m longing for a piece of Breadfruit.

What taste from home do you pine for?

Susan Andrea Warmington

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 10/12/2008 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well this is good as you havnt wasted any.

 
At 10/13/2008 9:33 AM, Blogger Fly Girl said...

What a lovely post! The whole sensory experience of guineps transported me on the spot. The taste memory that I'm pining for is fresh coconut drops. I have a terrible sweet tooth and haven't tasted freshly made drops since traisping through the backroads of tiny Barbuda to find some 2 years ago. They're called sugar cake there and they couldn't understand why a grown woman couldn't leave without it!

 
At 10/13/2008 3:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

flygirl...both you and I have a sweet tooth. I enjoy fresh coconut drops myself. I have fond memories of a hard white and pink coconut cake called "Greater Cake". That was my Grandmother's fave. She always would break off a piece to share...lovely!

 
At 10/13/2008 3:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yes, I almost forgot Gizzada!...which I did not too like as a child...but watch if I wouldn't wops it off now!

Susan Andrea Warmington

 
At 10/14/2008 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about toto?!!

 
At 10/14/2008 9:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yuh no sey I did forget toto?!
I have not heard that word in so long in regards to that lovely Jamaican pastry.
Nutting nicer dan a fresh toto!!!
Soooo-weeet!!!!

 
At 10/20/2008 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site several weeks ago and I have found it very informative and interesting. I am American and visisted Montego Bay(a resort) in August. I met a man there and we have been talking via phone since the day we met. I am to visit again in Dec. We are talking of having a serious relationship but he wants me to move to JA, so I have been reading alot on the country to see if it is something I would want and can do. That is where your site comes in...thank you for the honesty that is shown in your posts.

As for Guineps, I did get a chance to taste them while in JA. A friend of mines cousin, who still lives in JA, visited me and let me try them. I thought they were good, diffrent. I have to say that the best way I can describe them to my American friends is like a "grape". The pulp of the fruit reminds me of a grape, it does not taste like a grape but I think thats the closest thing I can compare it to.

 
At 10/20/2008 11:42 AM, Blogger fwade said...

Stacey,

You may want to visit http://transitionsunshine.info and get a copy of the 10 1/2 Mistakes book. It has a section on moving to Jamaica for love.

Also, there is a book we are about to put up for sale to help people to make a decision about moving to Jamaica.

Stay tuned...

 
At 10/28/2008 11:29 AM, Blogger allexcitement said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/28/2008 4:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

SUSIE WARMINGTON!!! I HAVE BEEN SO WORRIED ABOUT YOU!!! Well I am glad to see you are well. Hope you are happier and prospering. Happy Belated Birthday!

Love, love, love,
Allison in Lakeland

 
At 11/26/2008 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the information.

I did get a copy of 10 1/2 Mistakes and checked out the website. I have found them both to be very helpful.

While I am excited about meeting this man, I am in no way disillusioned about the situation. I am moving very slowly and cautiously exploring the idea of a relationship with this man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home